The dramatic events of 4th October 1936 have been captured in a huge mural on the side of the old St Georges Town hall halfway along Cable Street. Many veterans of the struggle that day were present when it was unveiled in 1983.
The mural was one of several arts projects to emerge form a tented group if writers poets and artists who were located in the basement of the old Town Hall in the mid-1970s. They recruited a mural artist called Dave Binnington to prepare the mural. He in turn recruited another artist, Paul Butler, to assist on the project.
The period in which they were working on it was a period of great tension in the East End, when a new generation of fascists had emerged in the form of the National Front, who were attempting to intimidate the area’s recently arrived Bengali population in a similar way to how Mosley’s fascists had threatened the Jews in the 1930s.
While it was in the process of being made, the mural got attacked several times. Fascists painted large racist slogans over it. Dave Binnington abandoned the project, but Paul Butler rescued it determined that it would be completed. He recruited two other artists – Des Rochfort and the late Ray Walker, and together the completed it. it was unveiled in 1983
Another memorial to the Battle of Cable Street was unveiled in 1987 in Dock Street, near the junction with Cable Street. this plaque came about through the work of the Tower Hamlets Environment Trust, supported by local activists.